Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Turn Blog Posts into a Book

From the Atlantic’s Daily Dish by Andrew Sullivan
http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2009/04/books-and-blogs.htm

Books And Blogs

Finally, a way to make some money. And it's amazing what can be done:
65-year old Toshiko Fukuda of Hyogo Prefecture, Japan, lost her husband to asbestos on April 17th last year. Her husband, Motoo, was diagnosed with mesothelioma in 2006, probably from the steel pipe factory he worked at. He got worker's comp, but the disease ultimately destroyed his lungs and left him with hallucinations for the remainder of his life. Shocked, the widowed Fukuda started sending text messages to her dead husband every time she thought of something she wanted to say to him. Things like: "I couldn't live if I didn't think you were still beside me. I can't live [without you]. I'm crying every day" and "I want to call you 'Otosan' to my heart's content. Why do you have to be inside such a small urn?" Every time she sent a message, the phone by his home shrine vibrated (she made sure it was always charged).
Now she's publishing a book with the loosely translated title Job Transfer to Heaven Without Family-I Wanted to Be With You Longer, a compilation of all her text messages from the past year that she hopes will educate the public about the dangers of asbestos.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. I recently thought of a story idea based on text messages coming from people who had died, but I had not thought of the living texting the dead.

    ReplyDelete